Professor Marieke Schuurmans is professor of Elderly Care within the Chronic Diseases research group. She oversees research into the best form of care for older people with multiple chronic conditions, a field in which great emphasis is placed on enabling patients to continue to be independent for as long as possible. This is what drives Marieke Schuurmans in her work.
Marieke Schuurmans has held the position of professor since 2002. In addition, she is a professor in Nursing Science at Utrecht University. Her knowledge extends to nursing, clinical geriatrics and epidemiology.
- 1983 – 1988: Studied Health Sciences, specializing in Nursing Science, Maastricht University.
- 1988 – 1990: Studied Abbreviated Nurses Training at Hogeschool Nijmegen.
- Since 1990, Marieke Schuurmans has worked at UMC Utrecht, where she has held various positions including nursing specialist and manager in geriatrics.
- 2001: Gained a PhD for her research into recognition of delirium by nurses.
- 2002 – present day: professor at HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht.
- 2009 - present day: professor in Nursing Science at Utrecht University.