Thijs van Houwelingen is a nurse and sociologist. He worked for ten years at the University Medical Center Utrecht, an Academic Hospital with more than 10.000 employees. In the last few years Thijs has specialized in aggression prevention. He was in charge of different projects aimed at reducing the practice of restraining and secluding psychiatric patients. In this projects he was concerned with themes such as peer counseling, family participation, hospitality and risk management policies. While studying sociology he focused on a completely different field. Thijs graduated on the globalization of culture and media. In his master thesis he mapped out the world system of classical music. His thesis was awarded the MCN muziekscriptieprijs (the Dutch Music Center thesis award).
Thijs van Houwelingen works as PhD candidate at the Research Group for Technology for healthcare innovations. His doctoral research is focuses on the subject competencies for healthcare professionals. Specifically: which competencies do professionals need in order to maximize the potential of modern technologies? Thijs will work at different research projects and also supervise participating students. Besides doing research he works as a lecturer at the bachelor studies of nursing.
- 2012 - present PhD candidate at Research Group for Technology for healthcare innovations, Utrecht University of Applied Sciences
- 2012 - present Lecturer at bachelor studies of Nursing, Utrecht University of Applied Sciences
- 2010 - 2012 Policy Advisor for the project ‘reduction of restraints and seclusions’ at the University Medical Center Utrecht
- 2010 - Master Cultural Sociology, University of Amsterdam
- 2006 - 2012 Psychiatric Nurse at University Medical Center Utrecht
- 2002 - 2006 Bachelor of Nursing, Utrecht University of Applied Sciences / University Medical Center Utrecht